January 1, 2020 – March 31, 2020
During this quarter, we spent most of our energy recruiting universities and nursing homes to implement the OMA program. In adherence to the terms of the grant, 12 nursing homes will be recruited and trained in the summer before June 30, 2020. Immediately upon completion of the training, they will receive an art supplies fund in order to begin implementing the OMA program in the fall semester of 2020. All Year 1 funds should be disbursed by June 30, 2020.
However, due to COVID-19 isolation measures, we may have to postpone training until after June 30, 2020, which will require a transfer of funds from Year 1 to Year 2. If necessary, we will reschedule the training for July-August of 2020. We still hope that these nursing homes will begin implementing OMA in the Fall of 2020. These training sessions cannot be conducted online because the trainees need to engage directly with individuals with dementia as part of the hands-on practice necessary to implement the OMA program.
Our active campaign to recruit nursing homes and educational institutions has produced great results. We have identified 11 nursing homes as grantees based on organizational readiness to implement OMA and availability of partnering organizations (universities and high schools) to supply a steady source of volunteers. We hope to identify the 12th nursing home soon, however, our recruitment efforts were halted by COVID-19.
- Bayley Place, Cincinnati
- Diversicare of St. Theresa, Cincinnati
- Geriatric Center of Mansfield, Mansfield
- Grande Lake Healthcare Center, St. Marys
- Hickory Creek of Athens, The Plains
- Hill View Health Care Center, Portsmouth
- Kimes Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, Athens
- Laurels of Norworth, Worthington
- Ridgewood Manor, Maumee
- St. Catherine’s Manor of Findlay, Findlay
- The Laurels of Mt. Vernon, Mt. Vernon
At the time of this report, we are still planning to hold OMA facilitator training sessions on the dates and locations below. The sessions may be postponed should COVID-19 prevent access to these nursing homes.
|May 26-29, 2020||
The Knolls of Oxford, Oxford, OH
|3.5 days of fully in-person training|
|April 27-May 22, 2020||
Chapel Hill Community, Canal Fulton, OH
|Hybrid combining online training with 1.5 days of in-person practicum in Canal Fulton on June 4-5, 2020|
Two new staff members joined the OMA team in this quarter.
- Angela Pontious, M.A. began her position as OMA’s Associate Director on January 1, 2020. Angela will assist Dr. Lokon in all tasks related to the ODM grant.
- Meghan Young, M.G.S. began her position as a half-time OMA associate on March 1, 2020. Meghan replaces Beth Rohrbaugh who recently left Miami University.